When it comes to a Mommy Makeover, there is no standard, one-size-fits-all procedure. Each Mommy Makeover is unique and allows patients to receive a procedure plan specifically tailored to their personal anatomy, needs, and goals. With the right combination of procedures, patients can achieve their desired appearance or help restore their pre-pregnancy body.
Benefits of Combining Procedures
Combining plastic surgeries into one Mommy Makeover procedure offers the following advantages:
- It is generally lower in cost: Because it’s a single-stage procedure, it is more cost-effective than undergoing separate procedures. You can save on facility costs, anesthesia fees, and other medical expenses associated with individual surgeries.
- It reduces your overall recovery time: A single operation with multiple procedures allows you to streamline the entire recovery process. The downtime after a combination of procedures is generally less than what you would undergo after two or three separate surgeries.
- It provides optimal results that give you a comprehensive transformation: A Mommy Makeover addresses multiple areas of concern simultaneously and provides an extensive body transformation. When performed together, some procedures can even enhance your overall results. For example, a tummy tuck combined with liposuction results in a more toned and sculpted abdominal area.
Popular Procedures to Combine in a Mommy Makeover
A Mommy Makeover typically includes the following procedures:
A tummy tuck is a body-contouring plastic surgery procedure that removes stubborn fat and loose, sagging skin left behind by pregnancy or weight loss. During surgery, the plastic surgeon removes excess sagging skin and tightens the abdominal muscles to correct a protruding belly, leaving the midsection flatter and better toned.
Breast Lift or Augmentation
Patients often seek breast surgery options to enlarge their breasts, regain firmness in their bust line, and restore lost volume due to pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Breast augmentation increases breast size and enhances breast shape through the placement of implants. The procedure enhances a patient’s proportions through a more symmetrical breast profile.
A breast lift addresses sagging breasts and restores a firmer appearance. It involves removing excess skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple and areola into a more forward position. This helps to create better-proportioned, natural-looking breasts with more youthful contours.
Liposuction removes excess fat from problem areas, such as the arms, midsection, flanks, legs, thighs, or buttocks, and contours them to help a patient refine their shape after gaining weight from pregnancy. Cosmetic surgeons often use liposuction to refine the results of a tummy tuck or other procedure to enhance overall results. It can also help shape the waists, remove love handles, or add to a curvy silhouette.
During liposuction, the surgeon precisely targets fat using a cannula and applies suction to remove excess fat deposits and sculpt a slimmer body contour.
Some patients may add other procedures to their Mommy Makeover surgery, such as vaginal rejuvenation. Vaginal rejuvenation refers to a variety of procedures that can help restore the vaginal and pelvic floor changes sustained during vaginal delivery or the natural aging process. This may also include cosmetic tightening of the vaginal tissue, improving the appearance of the labia, or reducing the size of elongated labia that can cause pain or be seen in tight clothing.
Patients may also want to receive non-surgical treatments, such as lasers, neuromodulators, or dermal fillers, to help rejuvenate the skin, treat wrinkles, and restore a more youthful appearance.
Preparing for Mommy Makeover Surgery
Our plastic surgeons, Dr. Robert Goldstein and Dr. Brandon Elnekaveh, understand that surgery can make patients feel anxious. During your consultation, your plastic surgeon will perform a physical examination, including a thorough look at your medical history and a discussion of your goals.
They will listen carefully to your concerns and desires while providing expert guidance on what each type of surgery can do. They will also explain the benefits and risks of every procedure to prepare you for surgery. Your plastic surgeon will work with you to recommend a combination of procedures that will help you come closest to achieving your desired results.
Consider the following tips on how to prepare for treatment and recovery:
- Stop smoking at least a month before surgery. Smoking can increase the risk of poor wound healing.
- Avoid alcohol consumption at least a week before surgery. Alcohol can increase the risk of complications by interfering with anesthetic medications, increasing bleeding, and delaying healing.
- Avoid blood thinners and anti-inflammatory medications and supplements.
- Practice healthy lifestyle habits. A healthy diet promotes faster recovery, while keeping a stable weight through exercise ensures optimal results.
- Plan for your Mommy Makeover recovery. Since you will have limited mobility after surgery, arrange for assistance while you heal at home. Ask a friend or loved one to help around the house. Stock up on medications, clothing, food, and other essential supplies.
Are You a Good Candidate for Mommy Makeover Surgery?
You may benefit from a Mommy Makeover if:
- You are in good health and have fully healed from your last birth.
- You are at a stable weight.
- You have stubborn fat and excess loose skin.
- You are done having children.
- You are no longer breastfeeding.
- You are free of pre-existing health conditions.
- You have reasonable expectations.
Can You Combine Non-Surgical Treatments with Mommy Makeover Procedures?
Yes. Although non-surgical treatments provide less dramatic results than surgery, they can still produce significant improvements and complement the results of other procedures. Examples of these non-surgical treatments include:
- Non-surgical fat reduction procedures
- Injectables (neuromodulators and dermal fillers)
- Skin-resurfacing and skin-tightening treatments (lasers, microneedling, and chemical peels)
Learn More About Mommy Makeover Surgery in the Bronx
At Bronx Plastic Surgery, Dr. Goldstein and Dr. Elnekaveh can answer all your questions and concerns about getting a Mommy Makeover or other surgical procedure to help you regain or enhance the body you had before pregnancy. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.