Female Genital Surgery
Female genital surgery, or vaginal rejuvenation, is an umbrella term for a group of vaginal corrective treatments that can repair and revitalize the internal and external genitalia. These surgical procedures can restore the vaginal and pelvic floor changes sustained during vaginal delivery or the natural aging process. They may also include cosmetic tightening of the vaginal tissue and improving the appearance of the labia.
The Science Behind Female Genital Surgery: How Vaginal Rejuvenation Works
With causes ranging from aging and genetics to childbirth, the vagina and its surrounding tissues can lose strength and elasticity. This can lead to issues like sagging skin, lack of sexual pleasure, and incontinence, so many women turn to vaginal rejuvenation to restore the look and function of their vagina. Vaginal rejuvenation can help women feel more confident and satisfied with their appearance, as well as enhance sexual pleasure and sensation.
Female genital surgery procedures affect the vulva (the external portion of the female genitals) and the vaginal canal (where you put a tampon or where penetration occurs during sex).
Common vaginal rejuvenation procedures we perform at Bronx Plastic Surgery include:
- Labiaplasty (labia minora reduction): Trims and reshapes the labial tissue or “lips” of the vagina. Labiaplasty procedures can include:
- Labia puffing (fat grafting): Enhances the size and shape of the vagina’s outer lips by using dermal fillers or harvesting small amounts of excess fat from another part of the body to serve as a natural filler
- Labia majora reduction: Removes excess skin to decrease the size of the outer lips, helping to address wrinkled and sagging skin and improve the labia’s appearance in and out of clothing
- Monsplasty: Reduces the amount of excess skin and fatty tissue in the mons pubis, or the upper portion of the hair-baring area of the vulva
- Clitoral hood reduction: Removes excess tissue surrounding the clitoris to improve its function, resulting in increased sexual arousal and stimulation
- Hymenoplasty: Restores the hymen to its original state, essentially tightening a vagina that has become slack, loose, or stretched open
- Vaginoplasty: Repairs and tightens the vaginal canal to improve the vagina’s appearance and function, typically after childbirth
What to Expect During Your Female Genital Surgery
It takes 1-2 hours to perform most vaginal rejuvenation procedures. The length of the procedure depends on the type of surgery and the degree of vaginal laxity present.
In most cases, patients are placed under general anesthesia on an outpatient basis. Your plastic surgeon will make incisions on your vulva or inside your vagina, including the surrounding tissues and muscles. The placement of incisions will depend on the procedure being performed. Your plastic surgeon will then repair or reshape tissue and remove excess skin. Once done, they will close the incisions using dissolvable sutures. Since you’ll be asleep, you won’t experience any pain during the surgery.
Your plastic surgeon will provide post-operative care instructions to ensure a smooth recovery and the best possible results.
Recovery and Aftercare
Downtime is minimal after female genital surgery. You will be advised to apply ice packs to the operative area for the first 28-48 hours. You must ice your incisions for up to 20 minutes each hour to minimize bruising and swelling.
Approach your activities cautiously for the first 2 days. Most patients can return to work in 3-4 days but should avoid activities that might rub on the incisions. In many cases, patients are instructed to take at least a week off from school, work, and strenuous activities, but this depends on each patient’s unique case.
For 6 weeks, you must avoid sexual intercourse, using tampons, biking, horseback riding, swimming, using hot tubs, and other activities that add pressure or cause friction over the incisions. Wear comfortable, breathable, and unrestrictive cotton underwear throughout your recovery to minimize friction and discomfort.
As you heal and your recovery progresses, you can begin to increase your level of light physical activity. Strenuous exercises can be resumed once you’ve achieved full recovery.
Is Female Genital Surgery Right for You?
Female genital surgery is an effective treatment for those experiencing the following symptoms:
- Increased vaginal laxity due to childbirth or aging
- Reduced pleasure and sensation during sexual intercourse
- Pain or discomfort during sex
- Urinary incontinence
- Vaginal irritation and discomfort
- Wrinkled, loose, and sagging skin around the vulva
Assessing Candidacy and Expectations
The consultation process is an essential step in any kind of surgery. During your consultation at Bronx Plastic Surgery, you will be asked about your overall concerns and vaginal rejuvenation goals. You will also discuss your medical history and current health concerns.
Your plastic surgeon will perform a physical exam to determine if you are a candidate for female genital surgery and identify which surgical options are best for your needs and desired results.
After determining your eligibility for surgery, your plastic surgeon will explain your procedure in detail, including probable outcomes, risks and complications, and the recovery period. This in-depth discussion, which may include photographs, will help establish realistic expectations in terms of results.
Learn More About Female Genital Surgery in Bronx, NY
Female genital surgery should be an experience that is personalized and empowering.
At Bronx Plastic Surgery, our experienced board-certified plastic surgeons provide high-quality services and care to help patients achieve their beauty goals with natural-looking results. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how female genital surgery or our other plastic surgery procedures can help you enjoy newfound confidence.
Thousands of Bronxites Trust Dermatology and Surgery Associates
Dermatology & Plastic Surgery Under One Roof
Learn More About Our
Learn More About Our